Samuel Green built an organ on the pulpitum in 1784: that instrument was relocated to the south triforium of the quire in 1827, and it was here that Henry Willis built a new four-manual instrument in 1886, with a pioneering form of electro-pneumatic action.
During the twentieth century, alterations were made by Norman & Beard and by Henry Willis & Sons. In 1979 N.P. Mander carried out a more radical rebuild, which included removal of the Solo Organ.
Much of Father Willis’s pipework survived these interventions and will form the backbone of the new organ, which is due for completion in early 2020
New organ in the quire, retaining some Father Willis pipework.
4 manuals, 83 stops plus existing Nave division, 6 stops. Click HERE for specification
|Solo 8ft French Horn|
20” wind pressure. This pattern of French Horn is the same as the likes of those found in the Solo Organs of Durham Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Temple Church, Colston Hall, Bristol and King’s College, Cambridge.
|Watch Head Voicer Andy Scott, voicing the Solo 8ft Ophicleide, Wind pressure 20” (508mm)|