Projects and Plans
Our workshop is host to a great variety of organs, both old and new.
Bradford on Avon, Holy Trinity
Henry Willis & Sons 1926, 3 manuals 26 stops.
Complete overhaul and renew mechanism.
Start January 2016
Edinburgh, Mortonhall Crematorium
H&H 1967, 2 manuals 9 stops. Dismantle for building work and re-install on completion. Possible soundboard work to be included.
May 2016 – December 2016
Lagos, Our Saviour’s
Fayemi & Jones 1972: 2 manuals 24 stops. Overhaul and restore, new piston and electrical system to be installed. Starting Oct 2015
Father Willis 1898, 4 manuals 64 stops, restored by H&H in 1960 & 1998. Dismantle, store and protect the Swell and Pedal Organ during repairs to the triforium roof.
Norway, Frogner Kirke
New organ re-using some old pipework.
Starting July 2016
H&H 1937 & 1987,
Overhaul of South Triforium organ during roof work.
Starting August 2016
Windsor, St George’s Chapel
4 manuals, 72 stops.
Drawstop action work in January. Wind system repairs in summer.
Adelaide, St Peter’s Cathedral
Wm Hill & Son, Norman & Beard 1929, 4 manual 53 stops.
Complete restoration with minor tonal alterations. Starting July 2017
New organ in the quire, retaining some Father Willis pipework.
4 manuals, 83 stops plus existing Nave division, 6 stops.
Start June 2017.
H&H 1930, 3 manuals 43 stops, Clean and overhaul including re-leathering of wind system, restoration of console and provision of new piston system.
Starting February 2017 – December 2017
Chorley, St Joseph’s RC
H&H 1903, 2 manuals 13 stops.
Overhaul and reface pedal board. Provide new adjustable bench.
Starting February 2017 – April 2017
Hill & Son 1869, H&H 1969, 4 manual 58 stops.
Partial overhaul and renewal of wind system. Starting January 2018
Glasgow, Kelvinside, St Bride’s Episcopal Church
Hill 1865, Mirrlees 1903, H&H 1904, 2 manual 19 stops.
Complete Restoration. Starting June 2017
Our Lady & St Wilfrid’s, Warwick Bridge
William Hill 1843, 1 manual 6 stops.
Overhaul and restore.
Starting March 2016
East Boldon, St George’s
Wood, Wordsworth & Co, 2 manuals 12 stops. Clean and overhaul Great following water damage.
Ayr, St Columba
J.J. Binns, Overhauled by H&H 1985. Installation of new electrical system with a revision to the piston layout.
Bath, St Mary’s RC Church
Bevington organ, 2 manuals 22 stops. Clean and partial overhaul after fire in church.
Start January 2016
Bedford, St Andrew’s Church
New organ, mechanical action. 2 manuals 22 stops. For new spec click here
Cambridge, King’s College
H&H 1934, in famous case by Thomas Dallam, 1606. 4 manuals 79 stops.
Complete reconstruction of the organ, with new soundboards and revised layout.
(Click here to view specification)
Hill & Son 1894: 4 manuals 93 stops.
Primrose Hill, St Mary’s
William Hill & Son 1872, H&H 1991 & 2011. 3 manuals 35 stops. Installation of new multi-level capture system
October 2016 – November 2016
St Mary The Virgin, Titchmarsh
Thomas C Lewis, 1870: 2 manuals, 17 stops
Full restoration, blower installed.
Completed Dec 2016
Twickenham, St Mary’s
H&H 1996 2 manuals 20 stops. Restoration of reservoirs following water damage.
October 2016 – November 2016
H&H 1921, 3 manuals 40 stops.
Overhaul of the mechanism with special attention to sound boards.
Starting March 2016
Bristol, Church of Our Lady of Ostrabrama
2 manuals, 17 stops. Pipework was removed, cleaned and repaired and front pipes straightened. Console cleaned, manuals removed, cleaned and adjusted. Soundboards and actions cleaned and repaired. Water damaged leather on the pedal action renewed. Swell shutter adjusted to improve shutter opening. Casework cleaned.
Colchester Town Hall, The Moot Hall Organ
Norman & Beard in 1902: 2 Manuals, 21 stops. Full restoration of the mechanism and pipework, and the original tonal scheme of the Choir has been reinstated. Completion early Spring 2015.
New specification 3 manuals, 30 stops
Durham, Hatfield College
H&H 1883; altered by Prested 1970; additions & restoration H&H 2001: 2 manuals 16 stops
The organ is to be partially dismantled to allow the removal of the reservoir, which is to be stripped and re-leathered.
The organ to be reassembled and the mechanism adjusted.
Eastbourne, All Saints’ Church
Harrison & Harrison 1929: 3 manuals 39 stops. Reconstruction of the organ actions, converting them to electro-pneumatic operation. (To view specification, click HERE). Starting April 2015.
Harrison & Harrison 1908, 1975, 2000: 4 manuals 83 stops. Changes made to piston and stepper
Started Feb 2015.
4 manual, 70 stops: H&H 1933, 1965, 2003, based on earlier work by Father Willis, 1891. The main organ was dismantled in January 2013. It has been completely reconstructed, with a new layout within the famous Loosemore case, and new soundboards replacing those of 1891. The tonal scheme has been retained. The intention was to achieve a better distribution of sound, together with improved access for tuning and maintenance.
Hakadal Kirke, Norway
New organ, 2 manuals 17 stops, tracker action.
March 2014- May/June 2015
Jesmond, The Church of the Holy Name
2 manuals 21 stops. Overhaul, Install electric stop action
Jordanhill Parish Church
T.C. Lewis, 1903, updates JPow, 1999 : 2 manuals 24 stops.
The organ is to be part dismantled and the following work undertaken:
The Swell pallet-actuating motors and Swell slider-actuating unit to be re-leathered and the Pedal pallet-actuating motors to be re-leathered.
The organ will be reassembled, the mechanism checked and organ tuned.
Kenya, Pembroke House School
H&H 1906, restored by H&H 2012: 2 manuals, 12 stops. Relocated the organ from the Chapel of the Community of the Resurrection in Mirfield, and rebuilt and installed in the Chapel at Pembroke House School.
London, Blackheath, All Saints’
Hills 1859: Full restoration of the mechanism, and revision of the tonal scheme.
London, Christ Church Southgate
J.W.Walker, 1870, 1947, 1977: 3 manuals 45 stops. New keyboards and installation of new piston system.
London, Grand Temple Freemasons’ Hall
Henry Willis & Sons 1933: 3 manuals, 43 stops.
Full restoration of the mechanism,and an addition of a further division.
London, St Clement Danes
H&H 1958, 3 manuals 38 stops. Repairs to pipework.
Oxford, Wadham College
Willis 1862: 2 manual 18 stops. The organ to be thoroughly restored without change.
Willis 1877: 4 manuals 65 stops. Repairs done mainly to leatherwork
Singapore Bible College
2 manuals, 9 stops. 1986 Aug. Laukhuff
Attention to pipe speech, action adjustments and tuning
Singapore, Freemasons’ Hall
Walker 1970. 2 manual extension organ. Overhauled, and a new electrical system installed.
Twickenham, St Stephen
Henry Willis 1890: 3 manuals 28 stops. Cleaned and refurbished. Repairs done to pipework, soundboard and wind system.
Tokyo Holy Trinity Church
H&H 1980: 2 manuals, 10 stops; enlarged 1991 to 2 manuals, 13 stops.
The operation of the whole organ will be checked, cleaned and repaired where needed. Low voltage power supplies, wiring and fusing renewed; a new processor based coupling system installed and piston relays renewed.
Bristol University, Great Hall
Nicholson 1966: 3 manuals. Re-leathered some of the action work and 32ft concussion, and did minor pipework repairs.
2 manuals, 26 stops. We have built a new organ for this lovely church with its celebrated annual Festival of Music within the Liturgy. Completed April 2014. The organ was used for the first time on Palm Sunday.
Glasgow Cottier Theatre
3 manuals, 31 stops.
The organ was built by Henry Willis in 1876 for Dowanhill Parish Church. In 1954 Willis changed the actions to electro-pneumatic and provided a new console; however, the structure and pipework were not changed.
After a period of neglect and vandalism, the organ was removed to Harrisons’ workshop in 2006 with the intention of restoring it to its original state. This has entailed the creation of new tracker actions and Barker machine, new mechanical drawstop and composition actions, and a new console, all strictly in the style of Father Willis and based on contemporary examples. All of the work has been completed, including extensive restoration of damaged pipework.
The church is being converted as the Cottier Theatre. The restored organ has been reinstated in the rear gallery and awaits the completion and commissioning of the theatre.
Hammersmith, St Paul’s Girls School
Grant, Degens & Bradbeer 1970: Overhaul, install electric stop action and new blower.
May – November 2014
Lagos, Breadfruit St Paul’s Church
H&H 1964: 3 manuals, 49 stops. New blowers installed and inspection for additional work at a later date. Completed
Lagos, Cathedral Church Of Christ Marina
Oberlinger 2010: 4 manuals, 64 stops. Overhaul, particularly of electrical system. Re-leathering of regulators.
Bristol, Kingswood United Church
Repaired treble pipes of the Principal and all pipes of the Fifteenth
H&H 1932: 2 manuals, 16 stops. Overhaul & re-leathering of actions. Completed August 2013.
H&H 1930, 1976. New 32ft reed. 3 manuals 43 stops. Completed November 2013.
Hampton Court Palace
Case by Gibbons and some pipework by Shrider 1712; organ by Hill 1857/99, substantially altered since. Overhauled and reconfigured to 33 stops. Completed September 2013.
Islington, Union Chapel
Father Willis 1877. Restoration of this notable example of Willis’s work, which is almost entirely unaltered and retains its original hydraulic blowing system. 3 manuals, 37 stops. Work completed March 2013.
Laverton, St Mary’s
Repaired wooden pipes and tuned.
London Royal Festival Hall
H&H 1954. In August 2005 the organ was dismantled and stored in a separate warehouse in Durham. The Hall has been completely reconstructed with improved acoustics; it reopened in June 2007. The organ has been reconfigured to suit the new architectural and acoustic requirements: its depth has been reduced by 1.1m, but the basic principles of the layout have been respected. The Swell Organ, Great flue stops and Pedal Principal 32ft, forming the left-hand portion of the organ, together with the console were reinstated first. The central and right hand sections followed in 2013
The organ is now complete. It will be re-launched on the organ’s 60th anniversary in early 2014. 4 manuals, 103 stops. (Links to more information here)
London, The Temple Church
The organ was built by Harrison & Harrison in 1924 for the castle of Glen Tanar, Aberdeenshire, and moved to the Temple Church in 1954. Having been restored in the workshop, the organ has been reinstalled in the church and voiced. 4 manuals, 66 stops.
The organ was re-dedicated on Tuesday 7th May 2013 in the presence of Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh.
H&H 1912 and 1926, based on earlier organ by Lewis. Cleaned and major overhaul; revision of wind distribution system. 4 manuals, 59 stops. Completed November 2013.
Troon, Portland Parish Church
H&H 1914, restored 1969: 2 manuals, 22 stops. Cleaned and overhauled.
Wigton, St Mary’s Church
H&H 1912, 2 manual 13 stops. Overhaul and re-leathering of actions. Completed June 2013.